Monday, February 3, 2014

Educating Muslim Youth: 25 Writing Prompts for Muslim #homeschools & #Islamic schools

Every once and a while I'll open my email box up and I'll see a request for a interview or a question from one of my readers, Alhamduleelah. It's always exciting to communicate with people who only know me for the value of my words. Some times the conversations are unique, but often I receive and answer the same question over and over again, "How did you write that whole book?" The Size of a Mustard Seed was quite long, but I tell everyone the same thing, "it only took one thought for me to put the pen on the page and start writing!" Yep, I actually started TSM with a pen and journal, scribbling lines after Isha the old fashion way. Writing and reading are my outlets, my specials, and my loves. I'd rather a book than a movie, I'd rather hear the sound of a good storyteller then the sound of any instrument, and I'd even prefer to write alone than to sit in others' company (introverted a tad bit).

My personal traits don't have to suit you to a tee, but one thing that I can share, especially with Muslim youth being that I was once in your shoes, is that writing and reading are therapeutic. Writing can help you to better express yourself and your ideas in public. Writing can help you sort through your feelings and emotions when they feel like they are going to cut off your airwaves. And reading back some of your writing can be soothing, entertaining (did I really write that?), and a visual measure of growth (yep, you did write that, but Alhamduleelah, you have moved beyond it as well).  It only takes one letter on the page to get you going.

So I wanted to share my list of 25 writing prompts for Muslim youth. But if you're not a teen any more or even a Muslim, and you see a prompt that you dig, go for it and write for it until your heart feels content. And if you use them all, please let me know or send me a snippet! I love to read!


25 Writing prompts for Muslim Youth


1. I believe in....
2. I am still learning to do.....
3. I want to be better at ....
4. My life would be better if ....
5. Yesterday was the (best/worst) day of my life because...
6. I am blessed because (I do/I have) these things in my world...
7. If I could change a few things about my community, I'd start with...
8. The person looking at me in the mirror is....
9. My umm (mother) is helpful to me ...
10. My abu (father) shows his love to me by......
11. My sisters and brothers can be .....
12. My favorite person in the world is .......because......
13. Everyone has a few bad habits, I need to work on changing this....
14. I am beautiful because....
15. I am a Muslim because ....
16. I can depend on Allah to help me with...
17. I am strong because....
18. My goals for my life are...
19. Did I just do that? I did because...
20. Oh Allah, forgive me for...
21. It's raining and I want to make dua for ...
22.  I hate it when Muslims are ....
23. This Ramadhan I want to work on...
24. The Muslim community needs...
25. I love Allah because...



No comments:

Post a Comment